What are cookies?
A cookie is a file that is downloaded to your computer when you access certain websites. Cookies allow a website to store and retrieve information about a user's browsing habits or their device, and depending on the information they contain and how the device is used, they can be used to recognize the user. Cookies are only associated with an anonymous user and their computer or device, and they do not provide references that allow the disclosure of personal data.
Types of cookies
According to the entity that manages them:
- First-party cookies: These are sent to the user's terminal equipment from a computer or domain managed by the website publisher, from which the requested service is provided.
- Third-party cookies: These are sent to the user's terminal equipment from a computer or domain that is not managed by the publisher, but by another entity that processes data obtained through cookies.
According to the length of time they remain:
- Session cookies: These are designed to collect and store data while the user accesses a website.
- Persistent cookies: These are a type of cookies in which data remains stored on the device and can be accessed and processed for a period defined by the cookie's controller, which can range from a few minutes to several years.
According to their purpose:
- Technical cookies: These allow the user to navigate through a website, platform, or application and use the different options or services available, including those used by the publisher to enable the management and operation of the website, and to provide its functions and services. For example, they are used to control traffic and data communication, identify sessions, access restricted areas, remember items in an order, complete the purchasing process of an order, handle payment, prevent fraud related to the security of the service, request user registration or participation in an event, count visits for software licensing billing purposes (website, platform, or application), use security elements during browsing, store content for video or sound broadcasting, enable dynamic content (such as loading animation for text or images), or share content through social networks.
- Preference or customization cookies: These allow the user to access the service with certain features that differentiate their experience from that of other users, such as language, the number of search results displayed, the appearance or content of the service based on the type of browser used to access it or the region from which it is accessed, etc.
- Analysis or measurement cookies: These allow the party responsible for them to track and analyze the behavior of users on the websites to which they are linked, including quantifying the impact of advertisements. The information collected by this type of cookie is used to measure the activity of websites, applications, or platforms, in order to introduce improvements based on the analysis of user data.
- Behavioral advertising cookies: These are cookies that store information about users' behavior obtained through continuous observation of their browsing habits, allowing the development of a specific profile to display advertising based on it.
It should be noted that cookies used for any of the following purposes are exempt from compliance with the obligations established in article 22.2 of the LSSI-CE:
- Allowing communication solely between the user's equipment and the network.
- Strictly providing a service explicitly requested by the user.
In this sense, the Article 29 Working Party, in its Opinion 4/2012, interpreted that among the exempt cookies would be those that have the following purposes:
- User input cookies.
- User authentication or identification cookies (only for the session).
- User security cookies.
- Session cookies for multimedia players.
- Load-balancing session cookies.
- User interface customization cookies.
- Certain plug-in cookies for exchanging social content.
Therefore, it can be understood that these cookies are excluded from the scope of application of article 22.2 of the LSSI-CE, and therefore it would not be necessary to inform or obtain consent regarding their use.
Cookies used on alicantelocker.com
The following cookies are used on alicantelocker.com:
- Technical cookies: These are necessary for the website to function properly, such as those that allow users to log in, navigate the site, and access its features and services.
- Preference or customization cookies: These allow the website to remember the user's preferences and settings, such as language and display options.
- Analysis or measurement cookies: These are used to collect information about how visitors use the website, such as which pages they visit most often, how long they stay on the site, and how they interact with the content. This information is used to improve the website and its content.
- Third-party cookies: These are used to enable certain features on the website, such as social media sharing buttons, and to collect data for analytics purposes. These cookies are managed by third-party companies, and their use is subject to their own privacy policies.
Users can allow, block or delete cookies installed on their computer by configuring the settings of the browser installed on their computer. For example, for more information on how to manage cookies in Google Chrome, please refer to the following link: https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95647?hl=en.
However, please note that disabling cookies may affect the proper functioning of certain features on the website.